Land Line Now, May 7, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
OOIDA has fought for years for greater transparency in broker and motor carrier contracts, and the pandemic has highlighted why the lack of it is a problem.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
The U.S. Supreme Court tosses out the convictions in the New Jersey bridge scandal; the man behind the Arrow Truck shutdown moves from prison to house arrest; and a California man gives new meaning to the term “drinking and driving” – it’s today’s news in trucking.
II. Get that collision off your record
The FMCSA has expanded a program designed to help truckers if they have a collision on their record that was not their fault; also, a new app is designed to help truckers during disasters.
III. Colorado, South Dakota speed limits
Colorado’s governor has signed bills addressing some highway speed limits and fees for overweight permits, while variable speed limits are considered for some South Dakota roads.
IV. Broker transparency subject of a long fight
For years now, OOIDA has fought for greater transparency between brokers and motor carriers. And the pandemic has highlighted why the lack of it is a problem. I’ll discuss the situation with OOIDA Director of Safety and Security Operations Doug Morris and Jami Jones, managing editor of Land Line Magazine.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA has set up an online resource to provide direct access to information needed to operate in the current coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 – Facts for Truckers logo on the OOIDA or Land Line Media websites.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email email@example.com.
- The FMCSA has set up a dedicated web page for updates on when and where it is distributing masks to truck drivers.
- As of May 1, Continental Automotive Systems has discontinued its RoadLog line of electronic logging devices. You can find more information online at vdoroadlog.com.
- The American Truck Historical Society to hold its annual convention and show virtually. You can find out the details here.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Petro in Beaumont, Texas. That’s located at Exit 848 on Interstate 10. Find the upcoming Spirit stops here.
- View OOIDA’s complete guide to Regulatory Issues.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.