LLN (10/21/19) – A possible truck-only vehicle miles traveled tax was the subject of a nonpartisan study recently – and some concerns cropped up. Also, Mobil Delvac and Pedigree dog food have teamed up to connect long-haul truckers with shelter animals. We’ll have some tips for shopping for truck insurance. And we’ll clear up some confusion over the rules for insulin-dependent diabetic truckers.
0:00-10:10 – Newscast.
10:10-24:14 – Connecting truckers and shelter animals.
24:14-38:43 – Truck insurance shopping tips; confusion over diabetes rules.
38:43-48:22 – Truck-only vehicle miles traveled tax.
- From 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Oct. 22, the Boone County Fiscal Court and the Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana Regional Council of Governments will be hosting a Truck Parking Solutions Workshop. The workshop will take place at St. Elizabeth Training and Education Center, 3861 Olympic Boulevard, Erlanger, KY 41018.
- To attend the workshop, you need to send an RSVP.
- Read Truckers invited to Kentucky truck parking workshop on Oct. 22 from Land Line Magazine.
- Terry Scruton reported on a viral Facebook video showing a good deed done by a FedEx delivery driver. You can watch the video here.
- The OOIDA Foundation has EPA grants to pay for 25% of the cost for an auxiliary power unit. Drivers need to have a model year 1996 through 2006 truck, and be based in Kansas, Missouri, Iowa or Nebraska. OOIDA membership is not required, but OOIDA members can get discounts on EPA-approved units.
- Go to the OOIDA Foundation website for details.
- Read more from Land Line Magazine: OOIDA Foundation secures regional grant to offset cost of APU for truckers.
- Nov. 11 is the start of the 2019 Truckers for Troops campaign. That week, you can join OOIDA for a discount and 10% of your membership will send care packages to troops overseas and help returning veterans, with OOIDA matching those donations.
- Read more here: Annual Truckers for Troops telethon begins Veterans Day.
Mobil Delvac and Pedigree dog food have teamed up to connect long-haul truckers with shelter animals. Mary McKenna will have details from the recent inaugural event called Mutts 4 Trucks in Nashville – as well as some testimony from OOIDA members who say they’d never drive without their furry companion.
When you’re shopping for anything really expensive, you don’t want to treat it like a candy bar at the Walmart check out – you need to do some research and consider important factors. Mary McKenna will get some truck insurance shopping tips today from Trina McIntyre and Stacey Sanders of OOIDA’s Truck Insurance Department.
- Find out more information about OOIDA’s Truck Insurance.
- You can also call the insurance department directly at 800-715-9369.
- If you have a question about truck insurance you’d like answered on the air, you can call the Land Line Now Listener Comment Line at 800-324-6856.
- Read more about OOIDA’s truck insurance program here: Get truck insurance from the people fighting for truckers’ rights.
Some folks behind the wheel are confused over the rules for insulin-dependent diabetic truckers. Mark Reddig talks with Linda Finch of OOIDA’s Business Assistance Department to clear it all up.
- You can access a copy of the new rule here.
- Information about commercial driving with diabetes, including updates on the new rule, are also posted at The American Diabetes Association website.
- Be sure to check out OOIDA Compliance Connection.
- You can find out more about what OOIDA’s Business Assistance department does here.
- And you can contact them at 816-229-5791.
The non-partisan Congressional Budget Office has taken a look at a truck-only vehicle miles traveled tax. And their assessment shows some real concerns. Mark Reddig gets a rundown from OOIDA Manager of Government Affairs Mike Matousek.