Land Line Now, June 17, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
A battery material shortage could stall the government changeover to electric vehicles – and might also affect commercial trucking efforts.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
OOIDA says the Senate Highway bill is okay. A second company has been given the green light to certified Canadian ELDs. And I’ll take “reminders that shouldn’t have to exist” for $400, Alex.
II. Senate highway bill, Biden regulatory agenda
Two big actions this week in our nation’s capital could have a significant impact on your daily life as a truck driver – the Senate version of the highway bill, and the regulatory agenda from the Biden administration. Both contain things such as automatic emergency braking.
III. Supply chain problems drive freight market
The year 2021 is fast becoming the year of the domino as supply chain disruptions continue to effect freight and rates. We’ll explain what could be next to fall.
IV. Electric truck push hit by shortages
A shortage of battery making materials could stall efforts to changeover the government’s vehicles to electric – and might have a similar effect on commercial trucking efforts. Also, after two hearings this week, we have a better idea of where the highway bill is going.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- American Highway Users Alliance to host virtual highway rally on June 21. You can find more information here.
- OOIDA is urging truckers to call their representatives and ask them to oppose HR3684. The bill contains numerous anti-trucking provisions, including one that would raise minimum insurance requirements by more than 160%. Call your representative today at 202-224-3121.
- Starting Saturday, Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the Petro in Bucksville, Ala. That’s at Exit 100 off Interstates 20 and 59. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- See OOIDA’s complete guide to Regulatory Issues.
- Get more information about the freight market. And you can find loads at OOIDA Members Edge.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.