LLN (8/21/19) – Efforts to improve CSA – the safety scoring system at FMCSA – are in jeopardy. That was the warning OOIDA sent to the Senate Appropriations Committee about a dangerous policy rider. Also, we’ll share the stories of two truckers – one who turned a truck into a boat and one who stepped up to help a local veteran’s group get a very special load across the country. Freight volume has been declining for nearly all modes of shipping, except trucking. And Diesel prices have dropped again this week.
0:00-10:10 – Newscast
10:10-24:59 – Meet a trucker who has turned a truck into a boat and another that has stepped to assist veterans
24:59 -39:14 – Capacity far outpaces demand in freight
39:14-49:12 – OOIDA sends letter to Senate Appropriations to stop harmful legislation
- OOIDA’s TRACER system has issued an alert on a stolen truck. The white 2006 Freightliner ST120 was last seen on Conyers Street in Dekalb County, Ga. A $500 reward is offered for information leading to its recovery.
- For more information visit the TRACER website.
- If you have information, call 202-246-2698.
- You can also read more from Land Line Magazine: TRACER ALERT: 2006 Freightliner stolen in Georgia; Utility reefer stolen in Texas.
- OOIDA is kicking off a new educational series titled “Shift Into Success” at the 2019 Great American Truck Show in Dallas. The first class, covering the cost of operations, takes place from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday in room C147 at the convention center. It’s free, and you don’t have to be an OOIDA member. For more information, call the OOIDA Foundation at 816-229-5791.
- Read more about the class and what’s happening at GATS:
OOIDA life member Jeff Foster of Superior, Minn., shares his story about how he built a pontoon boat from a 1988 Peterbilt. We’ll also hear the story of OOIDA member Eric Dashiell of Hampden, Maine, who stepped up to help a local veteran’s group get a very special load across the country. Terry Scruton has their stories.
- You can view a photo gallery of the truck turned pontoon below:
Freight volume has been declining for almost all modes for shipping, except one. Mary McKenna and Mark Montague of DAT report that trucking is the one exception, especially in spot market trucking. Unfortunately, capacity is still far outpacing demand. DAT provides market information for owner operators, carriers, brokers and shippers.
- Visit the DAT website.
- Or you can call them at 800-547-5417.
- Be sure to check out their blog.
- Chat with them on Twitter.
- And find out more on the OOIDA MembersEdge website.
- You can call OOIDA MembersEdge at 866-487-8253.
Diesel prices went down across the board, dropping the average cost per gallon to just below $3. Mary McKenna offers a detailed update on the price of diesel fuel and crude oil, including a break down by region and analysis.
- Here is this week’s price report by Land Line Magazine: The U.S. average price for a gallon of diesel drops below $3.
- Find Daily Fuel Prices by ProMiles.
- To see how to compute your own fuel surcharge use OOIDA’s online Fuel Surcharge Calculator.
- To download OOIDA’s fuel surcharge app for Android Smartphones, click here.
OOIDA is warning the senate appropriations committee about a dangerous policy rider which could do irreparable harm to work underway to improve the flawed CSA scoring system. Mary McKenna gets the details from Collin Long of OOIDA’s Washington D.C. Office.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.
- Read more from Land Line Magazine: