Land Line Now, Nov. 19, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Recruiting is big business in trucking, with some carriers accepting turnover as a cost of doing business, and calling it a driver shortage.
I. Today’s news with Scott Thompson
An OOIDA flow chart aims to get lawmakers up to speed on trucking inefficiencies. A Pacific Northwest storm continues to cause problems. And the roads that are shut down each year to make way for the crabs.
II. Opening eyes to the truck parking problem
Two OOIDA board members opened some eyes to the truck parking problem during a recent National League of Cities summit; meanwhile, some truck parking money could be squeezed out of the infrastructure bill.
III. ‘Driver shortage’ drives some deceptive recruiting
Recruiting is big business in trucking, with some larger carriers simply accepting massive turnover as a cost of doing business, and calling it a driver shortage. Marty Ellis has a few things to say about some recruiting ads that are dishonest.
IV. Overturning the overtime exemption
And what would happen if truckers were paid for all of their time? It would require lifting an exemption from overtime pay locked into federal law.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cell phone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- The impact of the storm that hit the Pacific Northwest and British Columbia earlier this week continues. For current road conditions in British Columbia visit their travel website.
- A section of Interstate 10 through west Phoenix will be shut down this weekend. For real-time highway conditions in Arizona, you can visit ADOT’s website or call 511.
- You can write and post a review of your DOT physical doctor or look up doctor reviews on OOIDA’s website under “Certified Medical Examiner Review.”
- Marty Ellis and the Spirit of the American Trucker are at the Bob and Linda Caffee Petro in North Las Vegas, Nev. That’s at Exit 54 off Interstate 40. Find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Read the latest edition of The Parking Zone.
- Be sure to check out the new Fighting for Truckers website. And remember, it’s never too late to contact your lawmakers. You can do that via the website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.