Land Line Now, July 29, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Two top federal officials recently made it clear they understand driver retention problems in trucking. Now, what will they do about it?
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
-The Senate votes to move forward on infrastructure. Minnesota eases hours of service restrictions in response to a drought. And the jet pack man is back!
II. Driver retention – understanding is great, but what’s the plan to fix it?
Two top federal officials recently made it clear that they understand the retention and turnover problems in the trucking industry. Now the question is what are they going to do about it. Also, the FMCSA will require states to exchange CDL information electronically by August of 2024, and the agency also has clarified some of its emergency declarations.
III. Ticket quotas in three states’ sights
Three states may stop law enforcement from using “ticket quotas” – and more states may jump on the bandwagon. Meanwhile, Pennsylvania continues a years-long quest to allow local police departments to use speed enforcement radar. Also, we’ll have information about upcoming truck shows on the Land Line Now Industry Calendar.
IV. Shell Rotella SuperRigs – different, but still cool
This week, Illinois is playing host to the annual Shell Rotella SuperRigs Truck Show. And like everything else the past year and a half, it’s a little different than usual. Meanwhile, NOAA is predicting how rough this year’s hurricane season will be.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- The OOIDA Foundation will offer the Truck to Success three-day course in person at the Courtyard by Marriott in Blue Springs, Mo., or online via Zoom Oct. 26-28. Registration is now open.
- Starting Sunday, Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the TA in Troy, Ill. That’s at Exit 18 off Interstates 55 and 70. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Read Leaders recognize driver retention problem; let’s fix it now from Land Line Magazine.
- You also can read States must go all-electronic on CDL info exchange by August 2024.
- Read FMCSA’s clarification on emergency declarations here.
- To read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News by State.
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- Be sure to check out the new Fighting for Truckers website. And remember, it’s never too late to contact your lawmakers. You can do that via the website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- You can find upcoming truck shows and events here.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.