LLN (1/31/19) – A recent report from Mexico contains some disturbing cargo theft numbers. Also, what does the government re-opening mean for FMCSA’s regulatory agenda? Later, we’ll take a look at the nominee to head the Federal Highway Administration. States take action to eliminate split speed limits. And we’ll review some recent proposals regarding federal fuel taxes.
0:00 – 9:41 – Newscast
9:41 – 24:25 – FMCSA regulatory agenda; FHWA nominee
24:25 – 39:22 – Split speed limits
39:22 – 49:10 – Mexico cargo theft; federal fuel tax
- Free early-bird registration is open for the 2019 Mid America Trucking Show March 28 through the 30 in Louisville, Ky. And that online registration is available till Feb. 28.
- You can also read more from Land Line Magazine:
- OOIDA has recognized Harold Parker of Pensacola, Fla., for 28 years of safe, accident-free driving. Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program. Also, read about our latest group of safe drivers: OOIDA recognizes drivers for safe driving records.
- Virginia senators are debating the merit of two bills that were passed Wednesday by the state Senate Finance Transportation subcommittee. The Roanoke Times reports both bills would raise money to pay for much-needed improvements along I-81. One would raise Virginia’s motor fuel tax and the other would add tolls.
- Read the bills here:
- SB 1716, which calls for tolls.
- SB 1470, which calls for higher fuel taxes.
- Go to https://www.keeptollsoff81.com/ to take action.
- The Association issued a Call to Action today urging truckers to contact officials in the state and voice their opposition to the plan. If you live in Virginia, please send a pre-generated letter in opposition to tolling I-81 by clicking here.
- Truckers based elsewhere but who run through Virginia are encouraged to call the governor’s office at 804-786-2211. You can also contact OOIDA Mike Matousek for help or if you have questions. Reach Mike at 816-229-5791, or at Mike_Matousek@ooida.com.
- Learn more about the issue from Land Line Magazine:
- Read the bills here:
The government has re-opened. However, what does that means for the FMCSA’s regulatory agenda? Meanwhile, we’ll take a look at the nominee to head the Federal Highway Administration. Terry Scruton talks with Jay Grimes of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office.
- View OOIDA’s complete guide to Regulatory Issues.
- Meanwhile, if you have questions you would like answered you can call our Listener Comment Line at 800-324-6856.
Lawmakers in several states are taking action to eliminate split speed limits. Terry Scruton gets the facts from our state legislative expert, Keith Goble. Also: Mary McKenna and Mark Reddig offer up some important notices from the Land Line Now Community Bulletin Board.
- Read more from Land Line Magazine, Eight states consider raising speed limits, eliminating speed differentials.
- And you can read about legislation in a particular state at the OOIDA Legislative Watch page.
A recent report on cargo theft in Mexico contains some disturbing numbers. So what does that mean to you? Mark Reddig covers that, plus some recent proposals regarding federal fuel taxes, with OOIDA Director of Safety and Security Operations Doug Morris.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.