LLN (10/24/19) – Detention Time: OOIDA’s Board of Directors discuss ways to develop legislation that will both decrease detention time while ensuring driver compensation. We have details behind the new audit of the FMSCA. Plus, find out what other groups think about the proposed changes in the hours of service. Possible reform is on the way for the New York and New Jersey Port Authority. Some California lawmakers are trying to keep the focus on roads. And, find out what’s happening industry-wide with this week’s bulletin board.
0:00-10:10 – Newscast.
10:10-24:14 – Hear details on a new audit of the FMCSA and what industry groups think about proposed changes in the HOS
24:14-38:43 – Reform for N.Y. and New Jersey port authority is in the works. And California lawmakers want fuel tax spent on roads.
38:43-48:23 – OOIDA Board: detention time not an easy fix
- The 2019 Truckers for Troops campaign starts Nov. 11. That week, you can join OOIDA for a discount. Ten percent of your membership will send care packages to troops overseas and help returning veterans, with OOIDA matching those donations.
- Read more here: Annual Truckers for Troops telethon begins Veterans Day.
We’ve heard what OOIDA thinks about the proposed hours-of-service changes, but what are other groups saying? Terry Scruton discusses that plus a look at a new audit of the FMCSA launched this week with Jay Grimes of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office.
- View OOIDA’s complete guide to Regulatory Issues.
- If you have questions you would like answered you can call our Listener Comment Line at 800-324-6856.
- Read related content from Land Line Magazine: DOT to audit FMCSA’s oversight of CDL disqualifications.
Reform at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is once again a topic of legislation at the New Jersey statehouse. And one California state legislator would like to make it more difficult for the San Diego Association of Governments to divert taxpayer funds away from roads. Mary McKenna fids out more from OOIDA’s Mike Matousek and Land Line Magazine’s Keith Goble.
- Read more from Land Line Magazine: Could reform be on the way for Port Authority of New York New Jersey?
- You can also read California lawmakers try to keep San Diego agency focused on roads.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State page.
Terry Scruton and Mary McKenna bring us important notices from the Land Line Now Community Bulletin Board.
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
With FMCSA looking for more info from drivers and carriers about detention time, and representatives on Capitol Hill considering developing legislation on the issue, the OOIDA Board of Directors had a long discussion today about the complexities of crafting federal policies that decrease detention time and ensure driver compensation while detained. Mary McKenna talks with OOIDA Board Member Monte Wiederhold, who says it’s not a one-size-fits-all solution.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.
- Read the latest from Land Line Magazine: Drivers’ time not valued, OOIDA says in detention time comments.