LLN (1/9/19) – Compensation, detention time and technology such as automation will be among 2019’s big trucking issues. Also, freight and rates return to normal. Diesel prices drop as oil takes an upturn. OOIDA pushes to get the per diem tax deduction back for company drivers.
0:00 – 9:26 – Newscast
9:26 – 24:10 – Detention time and technology
24:10 – 39:07 – Freight, rates; diesel prices drop
39:07 – 48:55 – Per diem push
- Virginia Governor Ralph Northam announced a plan to improve I-81 using . Read more here: Virginia governor, lawmakers propose tolls for I-81 corridor plan.
- OOIDA has honored Red L. Savage of Fort Worth, Texas, for 15 years of safe, accident-free driving. Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
Last week, Mary McKenna chatted with Collin Long of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office about some of the top trucking issues for 2019. Today, they continue that conversation. Topics include compensation, detention time, automation and other technology.
- Learn more about the detention time issue:
- Read up on the issue of automated vehicles:
- What does U.S. DOT’s Automated Vehicles 3.0 mean for trucking?
- Oregon task force submits automated vehicle policy recommendation to legislature.
- Report highlights legal, regulatory issues associated with future of automated vehicles.
- Automated vehicles ‘not likely’ to displace trucking jobs, report says.
Freight and rates return to normal after the holidays. Some lanes get a Super Bowl boost. Terry Scruton talks with Mark Montague of DAT.
- Visit the DAT website.
- Or you can call them at 800-547-5417.
- Be sure to check out their blog.
- Chat with them on Twitter.
- And find out more on the OOIDA Members Edge website.
- You can call OOIDA Members Edge at 866-487-8253.
Also, diesel prices continue to drop even as the oil market takes an upturn. Terry has our weekly update.
- Here is this week’s price report by Land Line Magazine, U.S. average diesel fuel price drops to within a breath of $3 per gallon.
- Find Daily Fuel Prices by ProMiles.
- To see how to compute your own fuel surcharge use OOIDA’s online Fuel Surcharge Calculator.
- To download OOIDA’s fuel surcharge app for Android Smartphones, click here.
We reported earlier this week that OOIDA is pushing to get the important per diem tax deduction back for company drivers. Mark Reddig talks with OOIDA’s Collin Long for more details.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.
- Read Land Line Magazine’s coverage: OOIDA sends letter to congressional leaders about per diem changes.