LLN (8/5/19) – Trucking faces “a monstrous problem” in the form of driver detention time. Also, obesity is a condition solidly linked to one of the most serious illnesses any of us will ever face. We’ll have advice on what you can do. Lease-purchase plans say they give you independence, but instead saddle you with requirements. And we’ll cover what OOIDA had to say to a national conference of the towing industry last week in our nation’s capital.
0:00-10:10 – Newscast
10:10-24:59 – Obesity and cancer
24:59 -39:14 – Detention time; lease-purchase requirements
39:14-49:07 – OOIDA brings trucker concerns to towing industry
- The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has published its proposal to make its Crash Preventability Program permanent on the Federal Register. Comments are due Oct. 4.
- You can find more information on the Federal Register.
- You can also file comments online at Regulations.gov.
- Read more: Comment period on crash determination program officially opens.
- The FMCSA is seeking public comments on a plan to develop a second pilot program to allow drivers between the ages of 18 and 20 behind the wheel of interstate commercial vehicles. Comments are due Aug. 14.
- You can file comments here.
- Read more from Land Line Magazine: FMCSA extends comment period on pilot program for under-21 drivers.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are taking some time off. We’ll let you know when they’re back on the road. In the meantime, you can still join OOIDA at a discount. Just call 816-229-5791, ask for membership and mention our show for a $10 dollar discount.
- See the full Spirit schedule.
Tell someone that something is linked to cancer, and they’ll likely to do something about it. However, one condition definitely connected to cancer is among the toughest to overcome – obesity. Mark Reddig talks with Dr. John McElligott of the St. Christopher Fund.
- Find out more about Occupational Health Systems at OHS.com.
- You can find out more about the St. Christopher Fund at TruckersFund.org.
- See what other medical solutions Dr. John offers at DocJmd.com.
- If you have questions about medical certification you can call OOIDA’s Compliance office at 816-229-5791.
The trucking industry faces “a monstrous problem” in the form of driver detention time. Terry Scruton discusses that, plus the newly redesigned Landline.media website and the Woodstock 50th anniversary with Greg Grisolano and Mark Schremmer of Land Line Magazine.
- If you’re a trucker not receiving the magazine and you’d like to, you can sign up here. It’s free!
- You can also subscribe to the Land Line News Nightcap.
- Check out Land Line Magazine online.
Lease-purchase plans are advertised as giving you the independence of being an owner-operator. However, those same contracts often require you to do certain things, whether you think it’s smart or not. Mark Reddig gets some advice from Adam Kleinschmidt of OOIDA’s Business Services Department.
- You can find out more about your rights in the regs from Land Line Magazine.
- Be sure to check out OOIDA Compliance Connection
- You can find out more about what OOIDA’s Business Assistance department does here.
- And you can contact them at 816-229-5791.
Every year, towing operators from around the country gather in our nation’s capital for the D.C. Towing Summit – and this year, OOIDA’s Mike Matousek – who has spent considerable time trying to fight the dark side of towing – was among those speaking. Mark Reddig finds out what he had to say.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at the Fighting For Truckers website.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.
- Read more towing-related coverage: