Land Line Now, June 17, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Some truckers have received letters from state officials that left them thinking their CDL might no longer be valid – but that is likely not the case.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
The U.S. House gets to work on the new highway bill; A truck driver is busted in a pot-smuggling case at the Buffalo border; and a mighty wind blows through Vienna – it’s today’s news in trucking.
II. Your CDL is probably OK, even if letter says otherwise
Some truckers have received letters from state officials recently that left them thinking their CDL might no longer be valid. However, it is likely just fine. Also, as scientists learn more about COVID-19, we’re learning more about how to protect each other from it. One of the most basic ways is by wearing a protective mask. We’ll offer a few examples of where you can get some.
III. The COVID-19 freight plateau
Freight and rates begin to plateau as COVID-19 cases are on the rise, but some hot lanes remain.
IV. House debates highway bill amendments
U.S. House members spent the day – and likely a good part of tonight – debating issues such as truck parking, lease purchases, speed limiters, underride guards and more. We’ll tell you what’s been decided so far.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA has set up an online resource to provide direct access to information needed to operate in the current coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 – Facts for Truckers logo on the OOIDA or Land Line Media websites.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.
- Love’s Travel Stop in White House, Tenn., was robbed Tuesday around 4:45 a.m. The suspects left the building headed south on Interstate 65 in a maroon Pontiac G6. Anyone with information is asked to call the White House Police department at 615-672-4903.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the TA in Troutdale, Ore. That’s at Exit 17 on Interstate 84. Find the upcoming Spirit stops here.
- You can find out more about what OOIDA’s Business Assistance department does here.
- Get more information about the freight market.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.