Land Line Now, April 7, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
The COVID-19 pandemic has prompted more than a dozen states to change absentee voting rules. Also, keeping your driving record clean during the outbreak.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
Indiana will close Interstate 70 for 30 days; U.S. Customs and Border Protection reduces hours at some crossings; and support for truckers from north of the border – it’s today’s news in trucking.
II. Keeping your record clean during COVID-19
While most courts are closed these days, citations are still being handed out. It might be more important than ever to keep your driving record clean. We’ll offer some advice on that, and what to do if you find yourself with a ticket in hand.
III. COVID-19 prompts changes to absentee voting rules
More than a dozen states are responding to the COVID-19 emergency by making changes to their rules for absentee voting. Also, an effort in Arizona to limit enforcement by the state’s ports of entry stalls.
IV. What D.C. is doing now to help you
The COVID-19 situation has shut down much of our government’s operations, including Congress. But that doesn’t mean things aren’t happening – including things that could benefit the truckers who are keeping the country operating through the outbreak.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA has set up an online resource to provide direct access to information needed to operate in the current coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 – Facts for Truckers logo on the OOIDA or Land Line Media websites.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection is reducing hours at some border crossings between the U.S. and Canada. Find a complete list of affected ports in North Dakota here. And find the list of affected ports in Montana here.
- Find out more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
- Starting Wednesday, Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the TA in Troy, Ill., at Exit 18 on Interstate 70. Find the upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Find more information from Road Law on their website.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website.