Land Line Now, April 27, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
A congressman’s bill to increase truckers’ minimum insurance is at odds with his complaints about the same issue for commuter rail.
I. Today’s news with Scott Thompson
Drivers are getting more access to COVID-19 vaccinations at truck-friendly pop-up events. Could a federal fuel tax hike be in the cards as lawmakers discuss infrastructure funding? And the man who’s got a real nose for world records.
II. Minimum insurance – Congressman says bad for rail, good for trucks
Part I – A member of the U.S. House of Representatives has signed a letter complaining about difficulties that local commuter railroads have finding and paying for liability insurance. However, at the same time, he’s introduced a bill that would do exactly the same thing to minimum insurance requirements for trucking operations. And owner-operators may pay the price.
III. Minimum insurance – A little history and a look at the deeper facts
Part II – We’ll look into how a similar situation was handled in the past, while taking a closer look at the reasoning behind calls for increasing truckers’ minimum insurance costs.
IV. Tolling in highway bill draws OOIDA’s ire
All indications are that the highway bill now being assembled in congress will call for more tolling – and congestion pricing – on America’s highways. And OOIDA has taken a stand against that provision.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Gary Buchs TA in Bloomington, Ill. That’s at Exit 160 off Interstates 39, 55 and 74. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.