Land Line Now, May 12, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Many truckers have asked “can I use personal conveyance to drive home?” We’ll clarify that and other rumors running rampant in trucking now.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
The Colonial Pipeline shutdown continues to cause problems. Truck parking is a topic of conversation on Capitol Hill. And taking the term “backseat driving” a little too far.
II. ‘Can I use personal conveyance to drive home’
Many truckers have asked “can I use personal conveyance to drive home?” It’s one of several road rumors making the rounds in trucking – along with COVID hours of service exemptions and when you have to do a biennial update. We’ll separate fact from fiction.
III. Roadcheck and rates
Last week’s Roadcheck event sent rates soaring to record levels. We’ll go over the details of the freight market this week.
IV. Truck parking – an issue the industry agrees on
The highway bill is one of those things that doesn’t sound all that exciting, but at the same time, may have more effect on you than anything that happens this year. And right now, Congress is debating issues like truck parking and under-21 interstate truckers.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- North Split in Indianapolis to close for 18 months starting this weekend. You can find more information at NorthSplit.com.
- The Iowa 80 Truck Stop is offering its COVID-19 vaccination clinic May 13-16. Any questions about vaccine appointments should be directed to Hy-Vee Pharmacy at 563-359-3120.
- The Oak Grove 70 Petro will have a walk-in, no appointment clinic from 1 p.m.to 5 p.m. on Thursday, May 20.
- Get the details on vaccine clinics and locations here.
- Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the TA in Fultonville, N.Y. That’s at Exit 28 off Interstate 90. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Get more information about the freight market. And you can find loads at OOIDA Members Edge.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.