LLN (12/5/18) – A newspaper joins the call for Pennsylvania Turnpike reform. Also: The OOIDA Foundation looks at detention time – one of the most serious issues in trucking. Freight and rates bounce back after Thanksgiving. And diesel prices continue to drop across the country.
0:00 – 10:11 – Newscast
10:11 – 24:55 – Survey about detention time
24:55 – 39:51 – Freight and rates bounce back
39:51 – 49:39 – Pennsylvania Turnpike reform
- A lawsuit against Knight Transportation was recently certified as a class of more than 4,000 truck drivers. They are suing Knight for refusing to provide meal and rest breaks as required under California law. Read Land Line Magazine’s full story; Federal judge certifies class in California wage lawsuit against Knight Transportation.
- Navistar is recalling nearly 21,000 trucks. The recall involves certain 2019 International HV, MV, 2018-2019 HX, LT, RH, LoneStar, ProStar, WorkStar, and 2018 TranStar automated manual transmission vehicles. An internal component in the clutch assembly may fail. And that could result in unintended vehicle movement, which could lead to a crash. Owners may contact Navistar customer service at 800-448-7825. The recall number is 18518. Owners may also contact the NHTSA’s Vehicle Safety Hotline at 888-327-4236 (TTY 800-424-9153); Or go to safercar.gov.
- The Pennsylvania DOT is taking comments until December 12th on truck parking in state. The questionnaire comes through the department’s Public Private Partnership Office. Answers will be used to help develop future projects. You can find out more and download the survey here.
Detention time is among the most serious issues in trucking. Recently, the OOIDA Foundation gathered information about it and its effects. Mark Reddig talks with Andrew King of the Foundation.
- Find out more about the OOIDA Foundation;
- Check out what else OOIDA Online Business Education program has to offer;
- See all the classes offered by OOIDA
Freight and rates bounce back after the Thanksgiving break. Flatbed sees an unexpected surge. Terry Scruton talks with Peggy Dorf of DAT. Also: Diesel continues to drop across the country, but a couple of key events this week could bring big changes to the oil market. Terry has our weekly update.
- Visit DAT’s website, dat.com;
- Or you can call them at 800-547-5417;
- Be sure to check out their blog;
- Chat with them on Twitter;
- And find out more on the OOIDA Members Edge website;
- You can call OOIDA Members Edge at 866-487-8253.
- Here is this week’s diesel price report by Land Line Magazine, Diesel fuel prices drop again, this time by 5 cents per gallon.
- Find Daily Fuel Prices by ProMiles;
- To see how to compute your own fuel surcharge use OOIDA’s online Fuel Surcharge Calculator;
- To download OOIDA’s fuel surcharge app for Android Smartphones, click here.
A local newspaper in northeastern Pennsylvania has joined the call for reform of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, citing many of the same concerns as truckers. Mark Reddig finds out what they said and why it matters from Nile Elam of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office.
- Read Land Line Magazine’s full story: Several statehouses consider tolls for transportation funding;
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121;
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.