Land Line Now, Oct. 7, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
California wants to end exploitation of port truck drivers, while also extending a mileage tax pilot program to pay for highways.
I. Today’s news with Scott Thompson
CVSA releases results of this year’s Operation Safe Driver Week campaign. House subcommittee investigation in YRC coronavirus loan calls for Trump White House records. And this is why Halloween decorations are meant to come down in November.
II. Getting ready for the cold
Cold can freeze a battery that’s not up to snuff, cold can gel fuel, winter road chemicals can rust out all kinds of parts – and on and on. So what systems require some attention as the colder months approach?
III. New California law aimed at protecting port truckers
A new law in California aims to end the exploitation of truck drivers at the state’s ports, while the state is also extending a pilot program designed to test a mileage tax to pay for highways.
IV. States file safety plans with feds – what’s in them?
The federal government does not actually do most of the enforcement of federal trucking regulations. It’s done by the states. But the feds pay those states money to carry out that enforcement, which is distributed through what’s called MCSAP – the Motor Carrier Safety Assistance Program. Every year, those states have to file a commercial motor vehicle safety plan with FMCSA. So what’s in those documents? And how does that affect you?
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- The OOIDA Foundation is reminding drivers out there about two surveys that are currently open. Get the details and find links to both surveys here.
- There is one more day to weigh in on an hours-of-service exemption request that was recently made by Oak Harbor Freight Lines. You can submit comments here through Oct. 8.
- OOIDA’s TRACER system has issued an alert on a stolen 2016 Freightliner Cascadia. Find the details on the TRACER website. If you have information, call 202-246-2698
- You can find more on truck repair and maintenance from TA Petro, here. If you have questions send an email to AskTATruckService@ta-petro.com.
- To read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News by State.
- You can find upcoming truck shows and events here.
- You can find your state’s Commercial Vehicle Safety Plan here.
- Starting Friday, Marty Ellis and the Spirit of the American Trucker will be at the Petro in Laramie, Wyo. That’s at Exit 310 off Interstate 80. Find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Be sure to check out the new Fighting for Truckers website. And remember, it’s never too late to contact your lawmakers. You can do that via the website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.