Land Line Now, July 13, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Some truckers can’t get new rate confirmations from brokers when a receiver turns them away or get their escrow back from carriers.
I. Today’s news with Scott Thompson
Another prominent group throws it support behind the bipartisan infrastructure bill. Diesel prices continue their steady ascent. And… a revenge story that ignores all the stop signs – literally.
II. Brokers, carriers playing new games (and old ones)
Trucking is an industry that always gives you problems to solve. And some happen more often than others. Some have trouble getting their escrow back when they change carriers, some can’t get a new rate confirmation when a receiver turns them away, and some wonder what their options are when a carrier hands them a 1099 when they should get a W-2. We’ll get some advice from OOIDA’s Business Services Department.
III. Missouri: Back to the drawing board on towing
It’s back to the drawing board in Missouri when it comes to towing reform. The governor just vetoed a bill that would have put measures in place to protect truckers from unscrupulous companies.
IV. Why does this law exclude truckers?
The exclusion of truckers from the protections of the Fair Labor Standards Act has long been a source of many of the industry’s challenges. We’ll discuss that – plus what’s causing some members of Congress to flip their votes on important bills.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- If you need more information about IRS form SS-8 or need the form itself, just go to the IRS website.
- OOIDA is offering a free Truck to Success webinar at 7 p.m. central time July 20. The webinar will cover the cost of operations. You can sign up for the webinar here.
- Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Charley Endorf Petro in York, Neb. That’s at Exit 353 off Interstate 80. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- See everything OOIDA’s Business Services Department has to offer here. And you can contact them at 816-229-5791.
- To read about more state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News by State.
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.