Land Line Now, May 18, 2020.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Fifteen years ago, OOIDA’s Jim Johnston debated Bob Voltmann of the broker group TIA – and some of the same issues they discussed are still with us today.
I. Today’s news with Terry Scruton
Trucker protests continue; Cash tolls to return to New Jersey this week; and bringing a truck show favorite online – it’s today’s news in trucking.
II. Broker issues 15 years later – same song, second verse
Three weeks from now, Land Line Now will mark its 15th anniversary on the air. And from the start, we’ve covered some of the most important issues facing truckers across the country. In that first year, two important figures in the trucking industry came on our show to debate the issues creating friction between brokers and truckers. Many of the issues they discussed then are still very pertinent today – and have been highlighted by the coronavirus pandemic. So as part of the celebration of our anniversary – and as part of our ongoing coverage of broker-carrier issues – today and tomorrow, we’ll take a look back at the 2005 debate between Bob Voltmann of the TIA, a group representing brokers, and OOIDA’s longtime president, Jim Johnston.
III. Broker issues 15 years later – Part II
Jim Johnston and Bob Voltmann discuss cooperating to solve broker-carrier issues.
IV. Broker-carrier analysis: New lessons from an old issue
What can we learn from the broker-carrier relationship a decade ago that can apply to the issue today? We’ll offer some analysis of where we are and what’s next.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- OOIDA has set up an online resource to provide direct access to information needed to operate in the current coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 – Facts for Truckers logo on the OOIDA or Land Line Media websites.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.
- The FMCSA has set up a dedicated web page for updates on when and where it is distributing masks to truck drivers.
- The 2020 Walcott Truckers Jamboree will be held virtually July 9-11. Find all the details online.
- A bill in Congress titled HR6104 would provide funding specifically to create more truck parking spaces. Find out more here.
- Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the Ingrid R. Brown Petro in Oklahoma City, Okla. That’s at Exit 127 on I-40E and I-35, and Exit 154 on I-40W. Find the upcoming Spirit stops here.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.