LLN (7/1/19) – A new bill that would require speed limiters in all trucks has sprung up in Congress. Also, a family-owner carrier rated as one of the best fleets to drive for is celebrating its 50th anniversary. Meanwhile, dash cams were once a bit of a novelty, but more and more, truckers need to have one. And we’ll offer some advice you should consider before using a factoring company.
0:00-9:57 – Newscast
9:57-24:42 – Bison 50th anniversary
24:42-39:40 – Dash cams; factoring
39:40-49:24 – Speed limiter bill
- OOIDA sent a letter last week to Michigan state Rep. Sarah Lightner in support of her bill that would eliminate the speed differential between cars and trucks in that state. Read more here: Michigan bill would nix speed limit differentials.
- Starting July 11, Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the Walcott Truckers Jamboree. That takes place at the Iowa 80 Truck Stop. Stop in, say hi to Jon and Sassi, and join OOIDA for a $10 discount. See the full Spirit Schedule.
- Michael L. Williams of Zanesville, Ohio, has been recognized by the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association for 29 years of safe, accident-free driving as part of the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
- Learn more about the OOIDA Safe Driving Award Program.
A family-owned carrier rated as one of the best fleets to drive for is celebrating its 50th anniversary. Mary McKenna talks with the son of Bison Transportation’s founder, Peter Jessiman.
- For information about Bison, go to their website: https://www.bisontransport.com/.
Dash cams were once a bit of a novelty, but more and more truckers regard them as a necessity. And in fact, there are several reasons you should too. Mary McKenna talks with our truck insurance experts, Trina McIntyre and Stacey Sanders.
- Find out more information about OOIDA’s Truck Insurance.
- You can also call the insurance department directly at 800-715-9369.
- If you have a question about truck insurance you’d like answered on the air, you can call the Land Line Now Listener Comment Line at 800-324-6856.
Factoring is now used by a significant number of truckers. But before you try a factoring company, there’s a few things to watch out for. Mark Reddig gets advice from Scott O’Dell of OOIDA’s Business Services Department.
- Be sure to check out OOIDA Compliance Connection online.
- You can find out more about what OOIDA’s Business Assistance department does, here.
- And you can contact them at 816-229-5791.
- OOIDA’s ‘Truck to Success’ seminar will also cover tips on factoring. Find out more about the seminar: OOIDA plans fall Truck to Success seminar for potential owner-operators.
- The Association will also present the first class in its “Shift into Success: series in August: OOIDA presents business class at Great American Trucking Show.
A new effort to require speed limiters in all new trucks has sprung up in Congress. Mark Reddig finds out what’s going on from Collin Long of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.
- Read a commentary on the topic by Land Line Magazine’s Tyson Fisher: Mandatory speed limiters would cause more deaths.