LLN (10/17/18) – Bad weather delivers a one-two punch to freight and rates. Also, a fatty liver can lead to serious health concerns. Diesel prices continue to climb. And Democrats could take control of the U.S. Senate.
0:00 – 10:11 – Newscast
10:11 – 24:41 – Fatty Liver
24:42 – 39:11 – Weather hurts freight, rates; diesel prices up
39:11 – 49:22 – Could Democrats take over the Senate
- The ATA has petitioned the FMCSA to pre-empt California’s requirement for truckers to have paid meal and rest breaks. ATA has tried to get Congress to pre-empt the state law and lost several times. You can comment until Oct. 29. To make a comment, click here: https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=FMCSA-2018-0304.
- Registration is now open for OOIDA’s upcoming live business seminar, “Truck to Success.” The class takes place March 12-14 at the Courtyard by Marriott at Exit 21 in Blue Springs, Mo. For more information, go to the OOIDA Online Education website.
- Related coverage: OOIDA offers Truck to Success business class March 12-14.
- OOIDA has recognized Jim A. Mitrano of Portland, Ore. for 15 years of safe, accident-free driving. To learn more about the Safe Driving Award from OOIDA.com, click here.
- Starting Thursday, Jon Osburn and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the TA in Maybrook, N.Y. That’s located at Exit 5 off Interstate 84. Stop by, say hi to Jon and Sassi, and join OOIDA for a $10 discount. See the full Spirit Schedule.
- Voting is open for this year’s Transition Trucking: Driving For Excellence Award until Nov. 1. Each year, the award honors military veterans turned rookie truck drivers. You can view their videos and cast your vote on the Transition Trucking website.
Having a fatty liver is a major problem, and can lead to a number of serious health concerns. Mark Reddig finds out what you can do about it from Dr. John McElligott, the medical director of the St. Christopher Fund.
- You can find out more about the St. Christopher Fund at truckersfund.org.
- You can find information about Occupational Health Systems at their website, ohswest.com.
- And you can also learn more at the Dr. John’s Medical Solutions website at docjmd.com.
Bad weather at home and overseas delivers a one-two punch to freight and rates. Terry Scruton finds out more from Mark Montague of DAT. Plus, diesel prices continue to climb even as the oil market continues to fall. Terry has our weekly update.
- Visit the DAT website.
- Or you can call them at 800-547-5417.
- Be sure to check out their blog.
- Chat with them on Twitter.
- And find out more on the OOIDA Members Edge website.
- You can call OOIDA Members Edge at 866-487-8253.
- Here is this week’s price report by Land Line Magazine, Diesel fuel indexes show prices continuing to rise.
- Find Daily Fuel Prices by ProMiles.
- To see how to compute your own fuel surcharge use OOIDA’s online Fuel Surcharge Calculator.
- To download OOIDA’s fuel surcharge app for Android Smartphones, click here.
Much talk has occurred about the Democrats possibly taking control of the U.S. House. But what about the Senate? Mark Reddig finds out from Collin Long of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121;
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.