LLN (10/14/19) – What’s the most basic way for truckers who work through brokers to avoid all the typical pesky broker problems – we’ll tell you today. Also, for 17 years Greg Cohen has worked for the benefit of everyone who uses our nation’s highways. Now, he’s moving on. We’ll find out what he’s seen, and what he sees ahead. And we’ll tell you about the vital role truckers play in delivering NASCAR to race fans.
0:00-10:10 – Newscast.
10:10-24:14 – A look back – and ahead – at our nation’s highways – Part 1.
24:14-38:43 – A look back – and ahead – at our nation’s highways – Part 2; avoiding broker problems.
38:43-48:22 – Trucks deliver NASCAR to Bristol Motor Speedway.
- The Minnesota DOT has recently completed a study on truck parking in the state and is looking for feedback.
- You can read the study here.
- Email comments through Nov. 8 to: DOT@state.mn.us or mail to Andrew Andrusko; Office of Freight and Commercial Vehicle Operations, MS 470; 395 John Ireland Blvd.; St. Paul, MN, 55155.
- Read more from Land Line Magazine about truck parking:
- Truckers have just seven more days to make comments on the FMCSA’s proposed changes to the hours of service regulations. The deadline is Oct 21.
- You can make your comment at the federal Regulations website.
- Read more from Land Line:
- Truckers have another chance to give input on hours of service.
- Nearly 1,000 comments submitted on hours of service.
- OOIDA calls HOS plan ‘a big step in the right direction.’
- FMCSA encourages feedback on hours-of-service plan.
- Data review shows short-haul change won’t decrease safety, FMCSA says.
- Change to adverse driving provision would extend trucker’s driving window.
- The OOIDA Foundation has EPA grants to pay for 25% of the cost for an auxiliary power unit.
- Go to the OOIDA Foundation website for details.
- Read more from Land Line Magazine: OOIDA Foundation secures regional grant to offset cost of APU for truckers.
- Nov. 11 is the start of the 2019 Truckers for Troops campaign. That week, join OOIDA for a discount, and ten percent of your membership will send care packages to troops overseas and help returning veterans, with OOIDA matching those donations.
- Read more here: Truckers for Troops 2019 starts Nov. 11.
Part 1 – For 17 years, Greg Cohen has worked for the benefit of everyone who uses our nation’s highways. Now he’s moving on. We’ll have a farewell interview with the outgoing president of the American Highway Users Alliance.
- You can learn more about Cohen’s organization at the American Highway Users Alliance website.
- Read more about the congestion issue from Land Line Magazine: FHWA report reveals urban congestion has not improved.
Part 2 – Our farewell interview with Greg Cohen, outgoing president of the American Highway Users Alliance.
Truckers who work through brokers have a host of problems they face, most of which hold them at a disadvantage. The most basic solution is to cut out the middleman – the broker – entirely and develop direct relationships with shippers. Mary McKenna will discuss the advantages – and challenges – of doing that with Tom Crowley of OOIDA’s Business Services Department.
- Be sure to check out OOIDA Compliance Connection
- You can find out more about what OOIDA’s Business Assistance department does here.
- And you can contact them at 816-229-5791.
Long before you see the green flag at Bristol Motor Speedway there’s a whole other show complete with truckers and car haulers who are essential to making race day happen. Mary McKenna discusses that – as well as how voting and taking action are easier than ever – with Land Line Magazine’s Jami Jones, Mark Schremmer and Greg Grisolano.
- If you’re a trucker not receiving the magazine and you’d like to, you can sign up here. It’s free!
- You can also subscribe to the Land Line News Nightcap.
- Check out Land Line Magazine online.
- You can read more about the Bristol story here: It’s Bristol, baby, and car haulers brought the show.