Land Line Now, April 28, 2021.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
Do you like it when your truck hits the brakes, even when you didn’t tell it to? Congress may mandate automatic emergency braking systems.
I. Today’s news with Scott Thompson
An appeals court in California paves the way for AB5 enforcement. A heavy-hitter joins the fight against minimum insurance hikes. And this is what a spider web sounds like.
II. Ever Given, ever with us …
The container ship that was blocking up the Suez Canal may be free, but it’s still not moving. We’ll find out why the Ever Given is a great example of what’s down the road for carriers, and break down the latest freight trends on the spot market.
III. Truck size and weight in the states
States are increasingly taking up trucking issues, including increases in the allowed size and weight of rigs on the road.
IV. Automatic emergency braking – like it or not, you’re stopping
How do you like it when your truck hits the brakes, even when you didn’t tell it to? Congress is likely to add a requirement for automatic emergency braking systems to the upcoming highway bill – despite the lack of evidence that are effective or improve safety.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit has just dealt a blow to small business truckers. Read the story here.
- Truckers can receive vouchers for free flu, pneumonia and shingles vaccinations. Email the St. Christopher Fund at Julie@TruckersFund.org or call 865-544-8145.
- Starting Friday, Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s tour truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, will be at the Petro in Angola, Ind. That’s at Exit 157 off Interstate 69. You can find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- Get more information about the freight market. And you can find loads at OOIDA Members Edge.
- To read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News By State.
- View notices on the Bulletin Board.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that on the Fighting for Truckers website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- If you’ve been hauling COVID-19 vaccines across the country in recent weeks, we want to hear from you for a story we’re working on. Just send an email to LandLineNow@OOIDA.com and we’ll get back to you.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.
- It’s helpful for our members to keep us apprised of conditions on the roads and any problems they encounter. If you have situations to report call OOIDA at 816-229-5791 or email Questions@OOIDA.com.