LLN (1/1/19) – A call and a request for a favor led a trucker to fulfill an item on a veteran’s bucket list. Also, got truck insurance? Then you have to file a MCS-90. And the government shutdown continues today with no clear end in sight.
0:00 – 9:26 – Newscast
9:26 – 24:11 – Veteran’s bucket list
24:11 – 39:07 – Insurance and the MCS-90
39:07 – 48:05 – Government shutdown
- Saying that the California law is “incompatible” with federal regulations, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration granted petitions to pre-empt the state’s meal and rest break rules. To read more from Land Line Magazine about the California issue, click here:
- FMCSA grants ATA petition to pre-empt California’s meal and rest break rules.
- Judge certifies class in California wage lawsuit against Knight Transportation.
- Democrats urge DOT to reject ATA’s petition against California meal, rest breaks.
- OOIDA files comments on ATA’s California meal and rest break petition.
- Jon Osburn and the Spirit truck are taking a break over the holidays. We’ll let you know when they’re back on the road. Meanwhile, you can still join OOIDA at a discount. Just call 816-229-5791, ask for membership and mention our show for a $10 discount. See the full Spirit Schedule.
Ever have a friend call you up needing a ride somewhere? What if that ride was 600 miles away? That’s just what happened to OOIDA member Riley Miller and he was only too happy to oblige, and in the process helped a veteran check an item off his bucket list. Senior Correspondent Terry Scruton has the story on today’s show.
- See related story: Ride-along in the cab a bucket list item for 83-year-old vet.
There are many forms you need to deal with when it comes to your truck insurance, but one you may not be familiar with – even though it’s required by law – is the MCS-90. Terry Scruton finds out what you need to know from Trina McIntyre and Stacey Sanders of OOIDA’s truck insurance department.
- Find out more information about OOIDA’s Truck Insurance.
- You can also call the insurance department directly at 800-715-9369.
- If you have a question about truck insurance you’d like answered on the air, you can call the Land Line Now Listener Comment Line at 800-324-6856.
The government shutdown continues today with no clear end in sight. So what does that mean for all of you out there behind the wheel of a truck? Mark Reddig fills in the blanks with Collin Long of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office.
- See related coverage: What happens for truckers in a government shutdown?
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.
Voting is open for OOIDA Board of Directors
Between now and Jan. 31, OOIDA members have a chance to choose some of the people who will run the organization that represents them. Ballots have already been sent out to members to vote for nominees for the Association’s Board of Directors. And a section of the OOIDA website allows members to vote online as well.
- You can read the nominee bios in Land Line Magazine’s story; Voting now open in the OOIDA Biennial Board of Directors election.
- OOIDA members can cast your vote here.
- You can also hear the nominees’ radio interviews below:
An interview with OOIDA Board nominee Linda Allen.
OOIDA Board nominee Brad Peterson.
OOIDA Board nominee Rodney Morine.
Interview with OOIDA Board nominee Danny Schnautz.
OOIDA Board nominee Kristopher Peters
An interview with OOIDA Board nominee Stephen Saunders
OOIDA Board nominee Carl Smith.