Todd Spencer and Lewie Pugh of OOIDA contend the Aguilera-Mederos case is indicative of bigger problems – among them driver training.
Click on the play button to hear our latest podcast.
I. Today’s news with Scott Thompson
Hundreds of drivers were left stranded for more than 24 hours on I-95 amid a winter storm. Diesel prices continue trending downward. And you’d think a game played on ice would thrive in colder temperatures, but everything has its limits.
II. Aguilera-Mederos case a sign of bigger problems
Rogel Aguilera-Mederos’ 110-year prison sentence has been commuted by Colorado’s governor, making him eligible for parole in 2026. And Todd Spencer and Lewie Pugh of OOIDA contend the entire case is indicative of a bigger problem in the trucking industry. They’ll discuss the case, driver training, loopholes in the regulatory system and what happens next.
III. States change fuel tax rates
About a dozen states made changes in their fuel tax for the new year. We’ll have a rundown of the increases and decreases.
IV. This time, kicking the can hurts
Congress has passed a stopgap spending measure to keep the government running. However, unlike past examples, this time it will have a direct, negative impact on transportation, especially highways.
Subscribe to Land Line Now
Go to Land Line Now on the Bullhorn app, or the Bullhorn website’s Land Line Now page, and click on the follow button. Bullhorn lets you listen to our program without using limited data on your cellphone plan – by allowing you to listen through a phone call.
Links, email addresses, phone numbers and more information
- View the most recent notices on the Bulletin Board.
- To read about state legislation, visit Land Line Magazine’s Daily News by State.
- Marty Ellis and OOIDA’s Tour Truck, the Spirit of the American Trucker, are at the TA Express truck stop in Kilgore, Texas. That’s at Exit 587 off Interstate 20. Find upcoming Spirit stops here.
- The St. Christopher Fund is offering two types of free diabetes prevention programs. Both Driving Down Diabetes programs are open to professional drivers at risk of developing type 2 diabetes. The 2022 program begins Jan. 10.
- Be sure to check out the Fighting for Truckers website. Remember, it’s never too late to contact your lawmakers. You can do that via the website or by calling 202-224-3121.
- You can donate to the Truckers for Troops fund all year long.
- OOIDA has an online resource to provide access to information needed to operate in the coronavirus pandemic. Click on the COVID-19 menu at the top of the page on the Land Line Media website.