LLN (11/29/18) – A proposal could solve major problems truckers have with bad brokers. Also, a program will allow under-21 truckers if they have military experience. Some states are trying to help people with suspended licenses get back on the road legally. An effort would cut some fees for Pennsylvania truckers. And we’ll explain how the federal REAL ID Act could affect you.
- The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration is seeking public comments on an exemption request on the hours of service received by the National Mobile Shower and Catering Association. Comments can be submitted online through Dec. 27 .
- The Hammonton, N.J., police are asking for assistance in locating a missing trucker who hasn’t been heard from since the end of October, 62-year-old John Ring. Ring’s truck was tracked to a rest area on northbound I-85 near Dolphin, Va. He is a white male, with brown eyes and grey hair and a mustache, 6 feet tall and 165 pounds. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Hammonton Police Department at 609-561-4000, Ext 1. You can find out more information on their Facebook page.
- Border International Trucking will hold its third annual Truckers Toy Drive on Saturday, Dec. 1 from 9 AM – 2 PM. All toys will be donated to the Boys and Girls Club of Las Cruces. Find out more at TruckersToyDrive.com; You can still pre-register for the event online.
- OOIDA’s TRACER system has issued an alert on a stolen truck. The white 2006 Freightliner Columbia has “Danways Express” written on the side of the truck. It was last seen on Balch Springs Road in Balch Springs, Texas. A $500 reward is offered for information leading to its recovery.
A proposal making its way through the FMCSA has the potential solve some of the major problems that truckers have with bad brokers. And OOIDA has offered its view to the agency about the plan. Terry Scruton covers that – and a program to allow under 21 truckers if they have military experience – with Jay Grimes of OOIDA’s Washington, D.C., office.
- View OOIDA’s complete guide to Regulatory Issues.
- If you have questions you would like answered you can call our Listener Comment Line at 800-324-6856.
- To read more from Land Line Magazine, click here: FMCSA ready to get green light on under-21 military pilot program.
Some states are trying to ease the process of getting back on the road legally for some people with suspended licenses. Terry covers that – plus an effort to cut some fees for Pennsylvania truckers – with state legislative expert Keith Goble.
- Read more from Land Line Magazine, States pursue, take action to aid drivers with suspended licenses.
- You can also read Land Line Magazine’s, New law relieves Pennsylvania-based truckers of fee.
- To read about legislation in a particular state, visit the OOIDA Legislative Watch.
The federal REAL ID Act – depending on what state you live in – could create some problems for you. Mark Reddig finds out what it is and how it could affect you from OOIDA Director of Safety and Security Operations Doug Morris.
- You can find out more about REAL ID here.
- It’s never too late to share your views with lawmakers. You can do that at FightingForTruckers.com.
- To call members of Congress, dial 202-224-3121.
- Read OOIDA’s Guide to Contacting Lawmakers.