I-70/I-435 interchange ramps to close in Kansas City area until late 2020
March 5, 2019
•Land Line Staff
Bridges that are part of I-435 and I-70 interchange in Kansas City, Mo., will be replaced over the next two construction seasons. Ramps at the interchanges are expected to be closed starting in late March until December 2020.
Lane closures are planned from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Thursday, March 7, and Friday, March 8. This closure is to stage signs, equipment and mark detour routes. Crews will close the right lane of eastbound I-70 from 18th Street to Cleveland Avenue just east of downtown Kansas City.
MoDOT said improvements include full bridge replacements, removal of left exits and improvements to loop ramp configuration. Tight turns on exit ramps will be loosened, making it easier for tractor-trailers to navigate the interchange.
Construction is expected to begin later in March. Motorists can expect to see significant ramp closures and lane width reductions.
Beginning March 2019, crews will close the following ramps until December 2020:
- Westbound I-70 loop ramp to southbound I-435. The signed detour will use westbound I-70 to Manchester to turn around on eastbound I-70 to southbound I-435.
- Eastbound I-70 loop ramp to northbound I-435.The signed detour will use U.S. Highway 40 starting near 31st Street to northbound I-435.
- On-ramp from Manchester to westbound I-70.
- I-70 eastbound exit ramp to Manchester.
Throughout the project, construction will affect traffic along:
- Northbound I-435 to westbound I-70.
- Southbound I-435 to eastbound I-70.
- Blue Ridge Cutoff.