Diesel prices at the pump decrease by a penny or two per gallon
June 12, 2018
•Land Line Staff
Across the U.S., the average cost for a gallon of diesel fuel dropped 1-2 cents on Monday compared to a week previous, according to the Energy Information Administration.
On Monday, June 11, the EIA reported the U.S. average price per gallon of diesel cost 3.266. The price is 74.2 cents higher than a year ago.
Following are the average prices by region as reported by the EIA for Monday:
- U.S. – $3.266, down 1.9 cents
- East Coast – $3.264, down a 1.8 cents
- New England – $3.292, down 1 cent
- Central Atlantic – $3.42, down 2.2 cents
- Lower Atlantic – $3.148, down 1.8 cents
- Gulf Coast – $3.037, down 1.8 cents
- Rocky Mountain – $3.344, down 1.5 cents
- West Coast – $3.769, down 1.5 cents
- West Coast less California – $3.489, down 1.9 cents
- California – $3.99003, down 1.3 cents.
ProMiles reports national average retail price for diesel on Monday being 2.4 cents lower than the week previous. Data from ProMiles also shows lower average prices in all regions.
ProMiles, the software company that maintains the websites ProMiles.com and TruckMiles.com, offers its own weekly fuel price information. The company’s fuel price data are presented in the same format used by the EIA in the agency’s weekly reports. The prices include a national average as well as regional averages, and comparisons to the previous week and the previous year.
A key difference between the EIA and ProMiles reporting is the type and number of fueling stations the company surveys in order to calculate its averages. While EIA surveys 400 truck stops and convenience stores nationwide, ProMiles uses its direct feed from thousands of truck stops to develop its averages.
Following are the average prices by region as reported by the ProMiles.com:
- U.S. – $3.206, down 2.4 cents
- East Coast – $3.27, down 3.8 cents
- New England – $3.293, down 2.1 cents
- Central Atlantic – $3.469, down 1.9 cents
- Lower Atlantic – $3.167, down 2.6 cents
- Midwest – $3.175, down 2.5 cents
- Gulf Coast – $3.061, down 2.3 cents
- Rocky Mountain – $3.337, down 2 cents
- West Coast – $3.645, down 1.3 cents
- West Coast less California – $3.453, down three-fifths of a cent
- California – $3.987, down nine-tenths of a cent
AAA reports a national average price per gallon for diesel fuel at $3.199 for Monday, June 11.
A week ago, the price was $3.211.
A month ago, AAA reported $3.106 per gallon and a year ago $2.496 per gallon.
The highest recorded average price for diesel was $4.845 per gallon on July 17, 2008, according to AAA.