We have hours-of-service reform. Here’s what the changes mean for drivers.
FMCSA’s final rule for hours-of-service reform went into effect on Sept. 29, but a lengthy court battle could still be on the horizon.
Wiley Deck talks trucking in exclusive interview
A personal conveyance mileage limit would be arbitrary without the proper data, FMCSA said in its reasoning for denying a CVSA petition.
The registration period for the 2021 Unified Carrier Registration Plan started in October and enforcement is set to begin Jan. 1.
FMCSA sends an interim final rule on agricultural commodity definitions to the White House for review.
Department of Labor attempts to add clarity to the controversial topic.
Congress extends FAST Act for one year
Amended broker transparency regulations would allow truckers to “achieve economic benefits,” OOIDA wrote in formal comments.
FMCSA extends CDL, HOS waivers until Dec. 31
In the not-too-distant future, all new trucks and passenger vehicles sold in California will have to be zero-emission vehicles.
OOIDA is speaking out against a proposal that would allow “road trains” on North Dakota roadways. OOIDA sent a letter on Oct. 7.
In the lead-up to the start of the 2021 legislative year, legislators in multiple states are discussing transportation funding options.
Draft reports on Florida's M-CORES program suggest proposed tolls on three separate corridors cannot be justified due to a lack of data.
Our roundup of noteworthy issues addressed by governors in recent weeks and the latest activity on other notable efforts.
There was no change in fatal crash stats for large trucks, but NHTSA says dangerous driving increased during shutdown.
With the federal government about to release another Jason’s Law survey, Georgia shows a good understanding of the truck parking issue.
Ballots for OOIDA’s biennial Board of Directors alternate election will be sent out to the Association’s members in December.
The Truckers for Troops campaign will take place the week of Veterans Day, from Nov. 9 through the start of business on Monday, Nov. 16.
The children and grandchildren of OOIDA members have until Feb. 1 to apply for the 2021 OOIDA Mary Johnston Scholarship.
A study by Insurify looking into various driving jobs shows that truckers have one of the lowest rates of driving violations.
Former and current New Prime truck drivers and trainees have until Dec. 7 to claim their portion from a $28 million settlement.
OOIDA sent a letter to Congress in September asking that small-business truckers not be left out of the second round of PPP loans.
FMCSA announced in September that it was creating a panel of commercial motor vehicle drivers to capture a wide array of viewpoints.
FMCSA plans to expand the number of military occupational specialties that are eligible for its military under-21 pilot program.
A man who was indicted in a massive insurance fraud scheme was found shot to death on Sept. 22 at an apartment in New Orleans.
Former FMCSA acting Administrator Jim Mullen accepted a job at TuSimple, the autonomous driving technology company announced.
In This Issue:
- Finally, flexibility
- Teamsters, safety groups challenge new hours of service
- New FMCSA leader takes over during hectic time for agency
- FMCSA: Personal conveyance mileage limit would be ‘arbitrary’
- Time to register for 2021 UCR
- A defining move
- Employee or independent contractor?
- FAST forward
- Broker transparency essential, OOIDA says
- A year of waivers
- All California truck sales to be zero-emission by 2045
- OOIDA to North Dakota: Say no to road trains
- States discuss transportation funding options
- Not enough data for proposed Florida tolls, reports suggest
- State Watch – November 2020
- ‘Risky’ driving
- The Parking Zone – November 2020
- Alternate election for OOIDA Board approaches
- Truckers for Troops returns in 2020
- Tell your kids, grandkids to apply for an OOIDA scholarship
- Driving jobs with safest drivers include trucking, study reveals
- Prime settlement deadline set for Dec. 7
- OOIDA advocates to get PPP loans for small-business truckers
- FMCSA establishes driver panel subcommittee
- FMCSA wants to expand military under-21 pilot program
- ‘Slammer’ named in staged crash indictments shot to death
- TuSimple hires former FMCSA leader
- A run at redemption
- Passion for the game
- A children’s advocate
- Trucking in America Poster Contest Winners
- GBATS: The show goes on-line
- 2020 SuperRigs moves forward with virtual show
- Barefoot in the Mack
- Mafia Secrets – November 2020
- Cool Gifts 2020
- OOIDA on the Road – November 2020
- Dashboard Confidential – November 2020
- Strange Things & Filthy Lies – November 2020
- Roses & Razzberries – November 2020
After prison, Clyde Edwards finds a career in trucking and reconnects with his son, NFL running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire.
Trucker Michael Wray, Jr. has spent most of his life channeling his passion for football and board games into “You’re The Coach.”
As a volunteer for the Truckin’ for Kids event for more than 30 years, OOIDA life member Frank Pangburn has helped raise millions of dollars.
Land Line Magazine asked kids across America to draw poster tributes to the American truck driver. The entries didn’t disappoint.
The in-person Guilty By Association Truck Show was postponed until 2021 because of COVID-19. But that didn’t stop GBATS from going on.
Brian Dreher won the Best of Show award with his 2016 Peterbilt 389 at Shell Rotella’s 2020 SuperRigs, which was held virtually.
In this edition of Memory Lane, Land Line’s John Bendel recalls a day of work that involved a sulfuric acid spill and a trip to the mall.
You’re a daisy if you do.
Looking for the perfect gift for a fellow driver, loved one or maybe yourself? Land Line has you covered with its annual list of Cool Gifts.
While it’s not all crab cakes and Whoopie pies for Jon Osburn, skipper of OOIDA’s tour trailer, they are nice perks all the same.
Confessions of an overachieving workaholic
West Virginia might be “wild and wonderful,” but West Texas is wild and liable to wound you – both physically and psychologically.
In this edition of Roses & Razzberries, roses go out the FMCSA for creating a panel of drivers to provide input on how to improve safety.
When to drain motor oil varies by engine and type of service, but it’s probably longer than you realize.
Volvo modernizes auto hauler, vocational models.
Coming in 2021, an all-electric collaboration between Hino and Toyota.
Western Star 49X engineered specifically for heavy-hauling, construction and trash.
Fire safety, trucking mattresses and a little help cleaning up after furry friends.
TMC, fender benders and collision-avoidance systems.
Pay now or pay more later.
Revisit your withholding and estimated payments. If you haven’t had enough taxes withheld from your income, now is a good time to catch up.