Clock ticking for drivers who took DOT exam from Alabama chiropractor

April 6, 2018

Mark Schremmer

|

The clock is ticking for more than 2,100 commercial motor vehicle drivers who were given 30 days to retake their Department of Transportation physicals after a chiropractor was indicted for falsifying results.

In late March, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration said 2,103 drivers, who received medical certificates from Dr. Kenneth G. Edwards in the past two years, will have to take another exam to stay compliant.

As of March 26, FMCSA said it had sent notification letters to 95 percent of the affected drivers. The other 5 percent were expected to be sent last week. Drivers have 30 days from the time they are notified to retake their physical exams.

Most of the affected drivers are in Georgia, Alabama, and Florida. Drivers, who received their current DOT exam from Dr. Edwards, should plan to retake their exam even if they don’t receive a letter.

Edwards, who worked out of an office in Phenix City, Ala., was arrested in February after being indicted by a federal grand jury for charges related to falsifying the results of DOT physicals. The indictment alleges that Edwards and his employees orchestrated a scheme to submit false documents to the DOT.

According to the indictment, Edwards and his staff did not perform physicals that were up to DOT standards but still sent forms to the DOT that “falsely certified the truck drivers had passed all of the DOT physical exam requirements.”

Edwards’ employees, Joann Bush and Andrea Daigle, were also indicted.

Edwards was removed from the FMCSA’s National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners in December.

In 2017, about 6,600 medical certificates were revoked after Dr. Anthony Lefteris was indicted for submitting false information and making false statements to the DOT.

Duane DeBruyne, a spokesman for FMCSA, said the number of drivers that didn’t respond was “negligible.”

Drivers and carriers with questions regarding the voided exams are asked to contact FMCSA at FMCSAMedical@dot.gov or by calling 202-366-4001.

Mark Schremmer, senior editor, joined Land Line in 2015. An award-winning journalist and former assistant news editor at The Topeka Capital-Journal, he brings fresh ideas, solid reporting skills, and more than two decades of journalism experience to our staff.