The House Transportation & Infrastructure Committee is finalizing this year’s highway bill proposal. OOIDA expects to see an initial draft in the coming weeks. If the 2021 bill looks like last year’s legislation, that’s bad news for truckers.
The highway bill that passed the House in 2020 included:
- Mandate for FMCSA to increase federal liability insurance requirements from $750,000 to $2,000,000.
- A massive expansion of tolling authority through congestion pricing and the diversion of revenue to non-highway programs.
- Mandate for FMCSA to establish new sleep apnea screening and testing rules.
- Mandate for FMCSA to publicize flawed CSA data.
- Other unnecessary regulatory burdens.
Call your U.S. Representative today and tell them these harmful policies don’t belong in the next highway bill.
Tell them there’s still time to fix these problems and ensure the legislation supports American truckers. Explain how increases to insurance requirements, greater tolling and more mandates will impact your operations and bottom-line. Remind them this highway bill is supposed to promote economic growth, not destroy small businesses!
You can find contact information for your Representative by clicking HERE and typing in your ZIP code. You can also call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121. An operator will connect you directly with your Representative.
If you need more information, please read OOIDA’s Letter to the Committee explaining our position on each of these issues.
Thank you for your continued outreach and support!