OOIDA course provides drivers keys to success
The Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association fights for truckers’ rights by participating in significant rulemakings and testifying at congressional hearings.
However, OOIDA also is committed to making sure that truck drivers have the proper tools to be successful in their operation. Through that philosophy, the Truck to Success course was born.
The second installment of the educational series was Sept. 10-12 in Blue Springs, Mo. Truck to Success is an intensive three-day training course for drivers who are ready to take their first steps toward becoming an owner-operator.
“Here at OOIDA, our No. 1 goal is to help drivers be more successful and more profitable in their business,” OOIDA Executive Vice President Lewie Pugh said. “That is the driving force behind this class.”
Class topics included:
- Developing a business plan.
- Equipment, including the decision to buy new or used and financing options.
- Choosing to be an owner-operator under your own authority or lease to a carrier.
- Entrant safety audit and compliance review.
- Drug and alcohol consortium and requirements.
- Permits and licensing.
- Taxes and business structures.
- Broker and factoring.
- Current issues affecting the industry and how to have input.
The first Truck to Success course was in March.
OOIDA plans to host another Truck to Success series in the near future, but a date has yet to be determined. LL